The Winters Hotel – 102 Water Street
Architectural Style: Edwardian Commercial
Architects: William Tuff Whiteway
The Winters Hotel, located on the S.W. corner of Abbott and Water Streets was built by Mr. William Federick Winters for his wife, Alice in 1907.
After the heady boom years immediately following the Klondike Gold Rush, Vancouver experienced a generation of steady growth. The South side of Water Street was rebuilt with a number of substantial hotels such as the Winters which served the commercial travelers.
When it was built, the Winters was considered one of the better hotels in the city. It was furnished with every modern and up-to-date convenience including telephones and hot running water and its own bar.
The Winters bar, along with about 80 other hotel bars in Vancouver, closed in 1917 when selling alcoholic beverages was prohibited by provincial law. It opened again in 1921 when prohibition came to an end and the provincial government took over the sale of liquor.
Photos courtesy of the City of Vancouver Archives